Back up taking up loads of hard drive space

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v8.x.x.

Back up taking up loads of hard drive space

by Mark.Potter » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:09 pm

I am running backupassist v8.2.0 and performing a full daily back up using the bare metal back up. I am running windows server 2012 R2 essentials version 6.3 build 9600.

I am backing the files up to a 1TB Toshiba hard drive but the last couple of days I have checked, it has said that there was less than 50GB of free space left on the hard drive. However when I went into the backup drive and checked the properties of the backup folder it was only displaying around 371GB so I am losing around 500GB of space and keep getting an error saying the backup can't start due to lack of free space which only happens on random days with random disks as we have one for every day of the week. I have a temp fix of formatting the hard drives everyday and the ones that have been formatted seem to have worked but there must be an underlying issue with it happening to all of the disks.

Just wondering if anyone can help?

Thanks

Mark
Mark.Potter
User

Re: Back up taking up loads of hard drive space

by michael.jones » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:19 pm

Hello Mark

Thanks for contacting us in relation to BackupAssist. I'm Michael Jones, one of the technical support engineers.

I am sorry that you are having an issue with our product. I would like very much to work with you to resolve any problems as quickly as possible.

The problem may be an issue of user rights. Currently it looks like you are using an account which has insufficient rights.

Can I get you to define a new user as the Backup User Identity? If need be, you can create a new user and add them to the following groups:

- Domain Administrators
- Administrators
- Backup Operators
This tends to remove any permission based issues that may arise from previous experience.

To configure a Backup User Identity, go to the file menu and click on Settings > Backup User Identity.
Once in the Backup User Identity screen, click on the radio button 'Provide a backup user identity'.
Enter the username, password and domain then click 'Ok'.

Here is a link to an article that describes the process for creating the ideal BackupAssist user identity:

http://www.backupassist.com/education/a ... ckups.html
Should you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact me - I'd be glad to assist you.

Thank You,
Michael R. Jones
BackupAssist Help Desk
US Support New Albany, IN
Support@backupassist.com
michael.jones
Cortex I.T.

by Mark.Potter » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:43 pm

Hi there

I don't think this is the issue because 8 times out of 10 it backs up fine and the backup identity is the local system log in and the fact that it does work does suggest that the users identity is fine, and it works fine when I format the hard drive's as well

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Mark
Mark.Potter
User

by michael.jones » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:17 am

Hello,

No I wouldn't have any further suggestions until we've tried the first one. Writing to the drive wouldn't be a problem for a user with almost no rights, like the local system account, for example.

It's the deleting part that would be problematic, like when the drive starts to fill up. Of course when you format the drive, once again, you're going to an empty destination which would not be a problem.

Please try changing the user to the Administrator, format the drive and let the job run, and let's see what it does. If you still get the same errors, get back to me and we'll tak a look at the diagnostics and move forward from there.
Should you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact me - I'd be glad to assist you.

Thank You,
Michael R. Jones
BackupAssist Help Desk
US Support New Albany, IN
Support@backupassist.com
michael.jones
Cortex I.T.

Return to Technical Support v8