Critical error files open - take 2

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v8.x.x.

Critical error files open - take 2

by OPL » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:46 pm

Hi - I am trialing v8.1.1, and have managed to make it all the way to getting the backups to run (incremental Mon-Thurs, full Friday), but I am getting reports of critical errors that one or more of my files are open and therefore could not be backed up. We backup to a tape drive, and we have Windows Server 2008R2. Our incremental backup starts at 6pm after everyone has gone, and the last few have written 420k files for 1.4Tb, but they have been taking 16 or more hours, so they are still running at the start of business the next day and people open files that then don't get backed up.
Is there a way to ensure open files are backed up? Or is there a way to speed up the backup so that it finishes before start of business the next day. Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere (I found some similar issues on the forum, but the answers still left me bit confused).
Thanks
OPL
User

Re: Critical error files open - take 2

by gsohal » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:54 pm

Hi There

It's Gagan from the BackupAssist team. Thank you for posting on our forum.

Sorry to hear that you've issues with the backup software.
May I ask if the files reported as open are on a network share? If so, then I must inform you that BackupAssist can backup files on remote shares using the File Archiving and File Protection engines. However, the files cannot be open during the backup. If this is an issue, then you will need to install and license BackupAssist on the server that hosts the open files.

If you are backing up files located on the same machine on which BackupAssist is installed then I would recommend submitting the diagnostic report for analysis.
To submit the diagnostic report you will need to log in BackupAssist console > Help > Feedback and Support > Contact Support.

We will review the diagnostic report and revert.

Regards
Gagan
gsohal
User

by OPL » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:09 am

Thankyou Gagan
I am using the File Archiving backup type. From what I can see File Protection doesn't write to a tape?
Our server has a shared network drive associated with it, which is housed in a NAS box - this is the data I am backing up to tape each night (the tape drive where the backups are being written is internal within the server housing). We only have the one physical server, which is where BackupAssist is currently installed, but we also have a terminal server hosted on there too.
Do you mean I need to install BackupAssist on the NAS box?
I'm not sure what "server that hosts the open files" refers to - is it the NAS network drive?
I appreciate your assistance.
Regards
OPL
User

by gsohal » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:56 pm

Hi There

Thank you for your response.

From the information you have provided, it seems you are backing up files from NAS. You will need to make sure that the files scheduled for backup [on NAS] are not open or being accessed/ blocked by any program/ user.
BackupAssist does not backup open files over the network. Open files can only be copyied if they are on the host where BackupAssist is installed.
The reason why open files cannot be copied over the network is because current snapshot technology does not support snapshots of network volumes.

I hope I have answered your query.

Regards
Gagan
gsohal
User

by jacksjack » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:33 pm

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere (I found some similar issues on the forum, but the answers still left me bit confused).
Is there a way to ensure open files are backed up? Or is there a way to speed up the backup so that it finishes before start of business the next day.
jacksjack
User

by OPL » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:33 pm

Hi - can someone respond to the query "is there a way to speed up the backup so that it finishes before start of business the next day"? I am about half way through the trial period, and if BackupAssist can't do an incremental in less that 15 hours, I think that it might not be the solution we need.
Thanks
OPL
User

by gsohal » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:56 pm

Hi There,

It's Gagan from the BackupAssist team. Thank you for posting on our forum.

Sorry to hear that you've issues with the backup software.

To understand the type and cause of the slow backup I would recommend submitting the diagnostic report for analysis.
To submit the diagnostic report you will need to log in BackupAssist console > Help > Feedback and Support > Contact Support.

We will review the diagnostic report and revert.

Regards
Gagan
gsohal
User

Return to Technical Support v8