Moving backup data to a new location

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v8.x.x.

Moving backup data to a new location

by jmcjc » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:30 pm

Hi just a quick query

If BA job was set to destination A, but then was changed to Destination B, could I copy/move the data from A to B? So that previous (and future) will all reside in the same location? (a new Nas drive in this instance).

Not sure if the way single instance store/hard links works is making this not possible, as I appear to be getting incorrect data sizes when comparing the 2 locations.

Thanks
James
jmcjc
User

Re: Moving backup data to a new location

by michael.jones » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:43 pm

Hello,

It'a Michael from support.

In regards to your query, you're correct in saying that the SIS will not be maintained when you copy the data over. However; I'm afraid that there isn't a work around for this as it's a limitation of hard links that they can't be maintained when copying data across to other media.

Single Instance store uses hard links to preserve space when performing backups to maximise the retention period available with your backup destination.

Please review the following blog regarding Single Instance Store as this contains a great deal of information as to how this works and what to expect when using this method of backing up:

http://www.backupassist.com/blog/suppor ... ard-links/.

In this situation you may be best off to archive the current backup drive in case it needs to be restored from and just start writing to the new media from scratch.
Should you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact me - I'd be glad to assist you.

Thank You,
Michael R. Jones
BackupAssist Help Desk
US Support New Albany, IN
Support@backupassist.com
michael.jones
Cortex I.T.

by jmcjc » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:55 pm

Thank you again for a swift response, much appreciated.

James
jmcjc
User

by jmcjc » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:02 pm

Sorry, just while I have your attention (and I couldn't see find this specific information)
When I change destination, leave the previous backup data intact - will BA be required to do another 'full backup' at the new location or can it still hard link from the previous location as such?

Thanks again.
jmcjc
User

by michael.jones » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:09 pm

In the absence of existing data in the current location, BackupAssist will always do a full backup.
Should you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact me - I'd be glad to assist you.

Thank You,
Michael R. Jones
BackupAssist Help Desk
US Support New Albany, IN
Support@backupassist.com
michael.jones
Cortex I.T.

Return to Technical Support v8