What happened to all my previous backups?

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v8.x.x.

What happened to all my previous backups?

by BackMeUp » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:04 pm

I am running BackupAssist v8.0.1 on a Windows 2012 R2 physical server using a rotation of 3 RDX drives.

We only rotate the RDX drives once a week. Backups run every night.

On Tuesday night, the successful backup shows 22 backups available on this medium and we are using up about 38% of the available space on the RDX drive. Previous Backups are 35.95 GB. Oldest backup is 4/23/2014. Newest backup is 7/22/2014. All good…

On Wednesday night, using the same RDX target for backup, we also have a successful backup, but the backup summary shows 1 backup available on this medium. We are now using about 12% of the available space on the RDX drive. Previous backups are now at 0.00 B. Oldest backup is 7/23/2014. Newest backup is 7/23/2014.

Just wondering why all my previous backups on this RDX device are gone.

Are there limits on how many previous backups can be stored on an RDX device, other than just available space?

From the backup summary, it appears that I cannot restore a file from Tuesday’s backup. That is a real concern.
BackMeUp
User

Re: What happened to all my previous backups?

by TimN » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:27 am

Hi,

It's Tim from BackupAssist. Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your backups to RDX.

For us to advise further, we will need to review your backup setup.

Please send in system diagnostics for us to do so.

To submit diagnostics:

1) Go to Contact Support (from the bottom-left corner of the BackupAssist console) -> Click on Contact Support

2) Fill out the form and ensure that the Submit system diagnostics checkbox at the bottom is checked.

If this does not work:

3) Launch the Diagnostics.exe file located in the BackupAssist install folder: C:\Program Files\BackupAssist v7\Diagnostics.exe

If you do not receive an auto-response email from us or have any issues using our automated support tool please follow these steps to manually send in your diagnostics file:

1. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data (for XP and Server 2003)
Go to C:\ProgramData\ (for Vista, Win7 or Server 2008)
2. Email support@backupassist.com a zipped version of the following folder: BackupAssist vX (Where X is the version that you are running)

If you find this file is too large to e-mail, you can trim down the size of the logs by removing anything older than a week within the following folders under the BackupAssist folder

- Summaries
- History
- Reports
- Temp

The Temp folder, is the default destination for PST and SQL backups to be stored during the backup process, so if there are any of these types of backups contained you can remove these as well as we don't require them.

If the file is still too large, upload it to http://www.backupassist.com/BackupAssis ... submit.php

If the file is over 50MB and upto 300MB in size, you can upload it to http://www.sendspace.com for free.

Regards,

Tim
TimN

by BackMeUp » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:10 am

Thanks Tim,

I submitted diagnostics via the BackupAssist Console.
BackMeUp
User

by BackMeUp » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:35 pm

Still happening. I am now running 8.1.1 and I am still seeing this problem.
The backups are full System Protection backups to a rotation of 3 RDX cartridges.
On one of the cartridges, I have 3 backups available.
Latest Full Backup: 34GB
Previous Backups: 5.8GB
Total Capacity: 925GB
Total Space Used: 66GB (7%)
Total Space Free: 856GB (93%)

Cartridge #1 went from 28 backups (8% used and 92% free) and then the next backup on that device has 1 backup. (9% used and 91% free)
After the 3rd backup to this cartridge, we are back to 1 available backup on the device. (I can live with 28)

Strange thing, is when one of the cartridges has all previous backups removed by BackupAssist, the 2nd cartridge on the next night has the same thing happen and then the 3rd cartridge in the rotation has the same thing happen the night after that.

We are going to end up needing to restore an older file someday and will not have the available history available to restore from.

Can someone please explain what determines when previous VSS Backups are removed from the backup medium and why this would happen when there is plenty of free space available? This is not acceptable.
BackMeUp
User

by TimN » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:10 pm

Hi,

It's Tim from BackupAssist.

Sorry to hear that you are having ongoing issues with your backups.

Did we respond to your query when you raised this issue initially in July?

To troubleshoot this, we will need to go through the backup logs.

Please send in system diagnostics again for the support team to review and advise further.

To submit diagnostics:

1) Go to Contact Support (from the bottom-left corner of the BackupAssist console) -> Click on Contact Support

2) Fill out the form and ensure that the Submit system diagnostics checkbox at the bottom is checked.

If this does not work:

3) Launch the Diagnostics.exe file located in the BackupAssist install folder: C:\Program Files\BackupAssist v7\Diagnostics.exe

If you do not receive an auto-response email from us or have any issues using our automated support tool please follow these steps to manually send in your diagnostics file:

1. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data (for XP and Server 2003)
Go to C:\ProgramData\ (for Vista, Win7 or Server 2008)
2. Email support@backupassist.com a zipped version of the following folder: BackupAssist vX (Where X is the version that you are running)

If you find this file is too large to e-mail, you can trim down the size of the logs by removing anything older than a week within the following folders under the BackupAssist folder

- Summaries
- History
- Reports
- Temp

The Temp folder, is the default destination for PST and SQL backups to be stored during the backup process, so if there are any of these types of backups contained you can remove these as well as we don't require them.

If the file is still too large, upload it to http://www.backupassist.com/BackupAssis ... submit.php

If the file is over 50MB and upto 300MB in size, you can upload it to http://www.sendspace.com for free.

Regards,

Tim
TimN

Return to Technical Support v8