RESOLVED BA721 selected vss component does not exist

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v8.x.x.

RESOLVED BA721 selected vss component does not exist

by davids355 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:48 am

I am running backup assist 8.0.3023. I have the backup assist core + rsync module installed.

I was backing up several SQL databases that are part of SQL 2008 R2.

Yesterday I installed SQL 2014 and migrated one of those databases from 2008 -> 2014.

Since doing so, none of the SQL databases are appearing in backup assist - not the ones still in 2008 or the one in 2014.

When I check the jobs the databases are listed as missing under check selection. And when the job runs it produces an error -
BA721 selected vss component does not exist

When I go to edit files/applications there is nothing in there for SQL at all.

I wonder if maybe there is a conflict with having two versions of SQL installed on the system? Just wondering if someone can confirm or can give me some ideas on troubleshooting this further?
davids355
User

Re: BA721 selected vss component does not exist - sql 2014

by Stuart » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:37 am

Hi there,

It's Stuart here from the BackupAssist team, thanks for posting.

Usually when SQL (or any other VSS application for that matter) doesn't show up in the selections means that there could be an issue with the VSS writer associated with that application.

Perhaps the following KB article will help determine if there is an issue with the writer: https://www.backupassist.com/support/en ... exist.html

If this doesn't help, then it may well be that there is a conflict between the two versions (I've never seen two different versions of SQL installed on the same machine before). Looking online; it does appear that SQL instances will work fine with each other - but there are possible issues if not configured correctly. The following link is just one of many which may give some clarity for you: http://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/ ... r2-already.
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

Re: BA721 selected vss component does not exist - sql 2014

by davids355 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:22 pm

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the quick reply. I followed your advice and checked the first link that you sent me - vssadmin list writers. This came back with a list and sqlserver writer was completely missing.
That lead me to do a google search for sqlserver vss writer missing....

Anyway, in the end I fixed it by changing log in account on the SQL Server Writer Service from Local Service to administrator account. Restarted the service and then vssadmin list writers actually showed sqlserver writer. And when i went in to backup assist, the SQL option was there once again.

I am going to do a backup tonight and hopefully it will all work again.

Thanks a lot for your help.
davids355
User

Return to Technical Support v8