BA706 Error

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v7.x.x.

Moderators: michael.jones, casey.burns, Mike D

BA706 Error

Postby TriStarGod » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:40 pm

I backup a set of files (~266 GB) to a series of RDX drives (~465 GB). Recently, I changed the job configuration from "Backup with History" to "Mirror" due to randomly occurring BA706 errors. However, to my surprise, the Mirror option is immediately creating BA706 errors after the second backup on the same drive. For some reason, its not deleting the previous backup from the RDX drive and instead trying to squeeze in the current backup. What do I do to set this configuration correctly?

Version 7.4.6r1
Destination: TrueCrypt (RDX)
TriStarGod
User

Re: BA706 Error

Postby casey.burns » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:04 am

Hi there,

My name is Casey, and I'm with the BackupAssist team. Thanks for posting on our forum.

With limited amounts of information given, it sounds as if you may have chosen a backup schedule that kept multiple full backups. Just because you changed the schedule, doesn't mean that the previous backups will automatically be removed as you're expecting.

I recommend that you format the entire RDX cartridge(s) and start over. However, after formatting the cartridges you'll need to change your backup schedule so that the previous backups can be properly managed. I recommend that you open BackupAssist > Manage > double-click job > Scheduling > Select a new schedule and choose daily rotating full. This backup schedule will place a full backup on the first run, then after that it will work on an incremental-style manner. Once the disk is full, the oldest backup will be removed and the software continues as normal.

For more information on how the engine works, check out this link: https://www.backupassist.com/blog/suppo ... ard-links/

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have anything further to add.
Kind regards,

Casey Burns
BackupAssist Support
casey.burns
User

Postby TriStarGod » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:28 am

After my configuration change, I already had formatted each RDX drive and "Prepare Media" each formatted drive. The schedule didn't change since that's the exact schedule I want to retain.

The following are my settings:

Destination
> TrueCrypt volume (RDX drive)
> RDX drive options
>> Locally - directly to this computer; Drive Letter: E; "Checked" Eject the disk after each backup;
> TrueCrypt-compatible encryption options
>> Password: ****
>> Confirm Password: ****
>> Volume size (GB): "Checked" use all available space; "Checked" Copy TrueCrypt binaries to destination;
>> Number of disks in your backup pool: Daily: 3; Weekly: 1; Monthly: 1; Start of First week: 3/14/2016;
> Replication Mode options
>> Mirror
> Media Checking
>> "Checked" Let BackupAssist keep
>>> Wrong media inserted: Back up anyway and warn user
>>> New or unrecognized media: Do not back up
> Media Usage report options
>> Warn when backusp exceed 90%

Scheduling - Daily + weekly + monthly rotating full
> Scheduling options: M-F; 10:00 PM
> Archiving options
>> weekly archives: Monday
>> monthly archives: the first specific day of the month: Monday

Calendar...

Files and applications: Only backing up a folder containing 3 items that are 248 GB. The items date changes by each date its backed up by application.

Notifications...

Scripts: None

Open files
> "Checked" Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service;
>> "Selected" Copy - VSS applications will treat this as a 'copy' backup

Replication Options
> "Checked" Use full path
> "Unchecked" Keep deleted files
> "Checked" Copy NTFS security attributes and alternate data streams
> "Checked" Warn about Hidden attribute
> "Checked" Warn about System attribute
> "Checked" Warn about skipped reparse points
> Maximum skipped files: 5
> Media usage timeout: 10
> Single instance store options: 1

What else do I change? I want a simple mirroring of all the files to the RDX drive. 1 copy is more than enough. I would prefer incremental update if BackupAssist is smart enough to recognize that the files its backing up had its date incremented.
TriStarGod
User

Postby TriStarGod » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:23 pm

casey.burns wrote:Hi there,

My name is Casey, and I'm with the BackupAssist team. Thanks for posting on our forum.

With limited amounts of information given, it sounds as if you may have chosen a backup schedule that kept multiple full backups. Just because you changed the schedule, doesn't mean that the previous backups will automatically be removed as you're expecting.

I recommend that you format the entire RDX cartridge(s) and start over. However, after formatting the cartridges you'll need to change your backup schedule so that the previous backups can be properly managed. I recommend that you open BackupAssist > Manage > double-click job > Scheduling > Select a new schedule and choose daily rotating full. This backup schedule will place a full backup on the first run, then after that it will work on an incremental-style manner. Once the disk is full, the oldest backup will be removed and the software continues as normal.

For more information on how the engine works, check out this link: https://www.backupassist.com/blog/suppo ... ard-links/

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have anything further to add.
Kind regards,

Casey Burns
BackupAssist Support

Are there any other details you need?
TriStarGod
User

Return to Technical Support v7