Exchange backup failure

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v7.x.x.

Moderators: michael.jones, casey.burns, Mike D

Exchange backup failure

Postby luis1979 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:30 pm

Hi,
I have an issue when restoring an entire Exchange Server with BackupAssist 7.4.5

I tried to restore Exchange in a testing Environment to see if, in case of necessity, we are able to do it. When I opened the restore console, I found out that when you select the backup, the size of the "Mailbox database.db" and logs is 0 although the psychical disk, where the backup is, contains these files with information. I went on with the restore, but it did not obviously restore anything although the job finished as successful. I used a backup located in an external drive but the same happens with another backup in a network folder.

Please, can anyone help me with this? We want to be sure that we can restore Exchange if something goes wrong, otherwise this Exchange backup is completely useless. To mention that I used granular backup in other situations successfully.

Thanks in advance!
luis1979
User

Re: Exchange backup failure

Postby michael.jones » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:13 pm

Hello,

It's Michael Jones from support.

Can you verify that you are following the steps lined out in the Exchange White paper, starting on mpage 12?

https://www.backupassist.com/downloads/ ... epaper.pdf
Should you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact me - I'd be glad to assist you.

Thank You,
Michael R. Jones
BackupAssist Help Desk
US Support New Albany, IN
Support@backupassist.com
michael.jones
Cortex I.T.

Postby luis1979 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:13 am

Hi Michael,

Thanks for you answer.

Yes, I followed all the steps, I have repeated the process again but I get the same problem. The report specifies size of restore files: 0.00 B.
luis1979
User

Postby TimN » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:37 pm

Hi Luis,

It's Tim from BackupAssist.

Please send in system diagnostics to our support team for us to advise further.

To submit diagnostics:

1) Go to Contact Support ( via 'Help > Feedback & Support > Click on Contact Support

2) Fill out the form and ensure that the Submit system diagnostics checkbox at the bottom is checked.

If this does not work:

3) Launch the Diagnostics.exe file located in the BackupAssist install folder: C:\Program Files\BackupAssist v7\Diagnostics.exe

If you do not receive an auto-response email from us or have any issues using our automated support tool please follow these steps to manually send in your diagnostics file:

1. Go to C:\ProgramData\ (for Vista, Win7 or Server 2008, Server 2012)

2. Email support@backupassist.com a zipped version of the following folder: BackupAssist vX (Where X is the version that you are running)

If you find this file is too large to e-mail, you can trim down the size of the logs by removing anything older than a week within the following folders under the BackupAssist folder

- Summaries
- History
- Reports
- Temp

The Temp folder, is the default destination for PST and SQL backups to be stored during the backup process, so if there are any of these types of backups contained you can remove these as well as we don't require them.

If the file is up to 300MB in size, you can upload it to http://www.sendspace.com for free and send us the download link.

Regards,

Tim
TimN

Return to Technical Support v7