Bare Metal restore to new and differnet hardware.

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v7.x.x.

Moderators: michael.jones, casey.burns, Mike D

Bare Metal restore to new and differnet hardware.

Postby JToby » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:18 am

Hi,

Using Version 7.4.002 Backup assist (File and SQL) clients. Completed a system image of a current server with Perc 7 Raid controllers SAS drives etc. Would like to restore to a newer server hardware with a newer Raid controller etc. Can this be done?

Thanks,
JToby
User

Re: Bare Metal restore to new and differnet hardware.

Postby Stuart » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:29 am

Hi there,

It's Stuart here from the BackupAssist team, thanks for posting on our forum.

You should be able to achieve such a recovery scenario just by running through the basic recovery process. This is all outlined in our version 7 Recover documentation which is found at https://www.backupassist.com/support/documentation.html#head_recover.

If you have any questions, feel free to respond to this post or raise a support ticket with our support team.
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

Postby JToby » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:43 pm

HI,

So an few additional questions... I have a server that has approximately 110G of total space being used on 4 different volumes. I have a running SYSprotect job from that started about 2 2.5 years ago that creates a datacontainer.VHD file and runs ever couple of days.. This file is now 1.7TB in size.. Is this correct? Is there something that I should do to minimize the size of this? Or anything that I can do? Can I remove the file and create a new one?

One other item, I am running an additional System Protect, when I run this, it does not seem to create a .VHD file, but rather a Windows Image backup.. I have done a few tests with .VHD file with the bootable DVD that is created in Backup assist, based on the installed software and restored the .VHD.

Will the same bootable DVD do a system \ bare metal restore with the windows image backup?

Thanks,
JToby
User

Postby Stuart » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:59 pm

Hi again,

The Data Container will grow to be 2TB in size if you have configured the settings within the job to use all available space (2TB is the file size limitation of .vhd files). There is no way to shrink this once the data container is created. You're free to remove this and then start over if you wish.

A Data Container is a selectable destination and must be configured as the destination for this to be used. This will be the difference between your two jobs.

The System Protection engine uses the Windows Backup engine as it's base - so the file that you're seeing is standard and expected. This is what's required to be able to perform a bare metal recovery. This is all outlined in our documentation for System Protection backups: https://www.backupassist.com/education/v9/backupassist/system-protection-guide.html.

If you mounted your data container through Windows and browsed the drive through Windows Explorer; you'd find the same WindowsImageBackup folder.
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

Return to Technical Support v7