Creating bootable media

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v7.x.x.

Moderators: michael.jones, casey.burns, Mike D

Creating bootable media

Postby AdvancedNetDes » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:52 am

I tried my first attempt at creating bootable media for a system protection job. This is for a Windows Small Business Server 2011 (essentially Server 2008 x64).

I was using a DVD-R, single sided. After some time the DVD ejected with a message that the DVD was full and could not be written to. Options (if I recall) were continue or cancel. I ended up cancelling, so obviously the creation failed. This all happened from what I thought to be fairly late in the process just past a screen that mentioned deleting temp files.

Would I be safe in presuming I need to burn to dual sided DVD-r to create media for this system, or was something else wrong?

Thanks!
AdvancedNetDes
User

Re: Creating bootable media

Postby Stuart » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:10 am

Hi there,

It's Stuart here from the BackupAssist team, thanks for posting on our forum.

When creating the boot media, just reference the space size required by the Windows installation disk for that operating system.
I do know that SBS is 'just' over the size of a single layered DVD (ran into that issue many times when needing to install SBS), so I'd say you'll need to do this on a duel layered DVD for SBS 2011 in this situation.

Alternatively you could also build the boot media onto a USB stick if that's more convenient than sourcing a duel layered DVD.
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

Return to Technical Support v7