Data retention

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v7.x.x.

Moderators: michael.jones, casey.burns, Mike D

Data retention

Postby KNL » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:53 am

Hi,
SBS2011 backing up to 1TB RDX.
Backup type : System Protection
Data Container using all available space.

The backups are running ok, however, the oldest backup is now being deleted, this despite having around 30% free space in the data container.
This is a little confusing as the white paper on block level backup mentions that the oldest backup is only removed when the media is reaching capacity.
Note that the oldest backup is generally a year old, normally not an issue with all our clients except one that has a requirement to keep all backups and introduce new media when old media is filled to capacity. Difficult to explain to the client that despite having 30% free the media needs changing. Not a cheap undertaking considering having to potentially replace 5 cartridges at once.
KNL
User

Re: Data retention

Postby gsohal » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:54 am

Hi There,

It's Gagan from the BackupAssist team. Thanks for posting on our forum.

With regards to imaging, BackupAssist uses the “Windows Backup” engine to perform its image backups, and this engine does delete older backups as needed.

We recommend that the backup drive be at least 1.5x the size of the combined source data, even if you are using a backup pool and don’t require previous versions to be kept. Microsoft recommend from 1.5x to 2.5x the backup size, depending on where you look (eg. see this technet article: http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/ ... ackup.aspx), and again, this is due to the dynamic nature of Windows Backup, which uses VSS snapshots to store past backups.

In case you are still unable to understand then you can check the System Event logs for any reported errors at or around the time Backup was running. These logs will provide you an insight on the cause of error.

If you are still unable to understand the cause of error, then I'd suggest you submit the latest diagnostic report for further analysis.
To send us the diagnostic report, I'd suggest you log in to BackupAssist console > Help > Feedback and Support > Contact Support

We will review the diagnostic report and revert.

Regards
Gagan
gsohal
User

Postby KNL » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:30 pm

Hi Thank you for the response.

I have read through the article that you listed, which makes sense. What I don't get is that with 300GB free on the media and knowing that 300GB of data hasn't changed (not even close), why the older backups are now being deleted.

The Backup assist license was purchased through Zen over a year ago, using the support option in the console is fine, but the support license has expired. To their credit, Zen have provided assistance outside of the support period, but sending over the report via the console will be stretching their goodwill. Hence the posting on the Forum.

We are considering having an alternate schedule that will just backup specific data, what sort of data retention period will we expect. May seem a daft question, but I think I read somewhere in your documentation that the maximum is 52 or 53 weeks.
KNL
User

Postby casey.burns » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:58 pm

Hi there,

My name is Casey, and I'm with the BackupAssist team. Thanks for posting on our forum.

Unfortunately, without having diagnostic information from you it is extremely difficult to make accurate assessments of what is happening with the backup engine. We can only guess to the best of our ability.

My guess is that maybe the shadow storage space on the container hasn't been raised. To check out the data container shadow storage space, you'll need to manually mount the container then use the vssadmin list shadowstorage command on the mounted container.

For help with mounting the container: https://www.backupassist.com/blog/suppo ... container/

Also, more info on how to use the vssadmin command: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... 54968.aspx

Once you're able to raise the shadowstorage space, re-run the backup and let us know of your results.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have anything further to add.
Kind regards,

Casey Burns
BackupAssist Support
casey.burns
User

Return to Technical Support v7