slow backup

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v7.x.x.

Moderators: michael.jones, casey.burns, Mike D

slow backup

Postby marvin.yip » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:58 pm

hi support
i am using version 7.4.6
i just found the backup process is extremely slow recently. it took 23 hours to backup less than 100 MB data(with encryption)
I didn't make any changes to the configuration
A few months before, it just took one hours to backup 70GB data(with encryption)

any idea?

thank you
marvin.yip
User

Re: slow backup

Postby marvin.yip » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:03 pm

marvin.yip wrote:hi support
i am using version 7.4.6
i just found the backup process is extremely slow recently. it took 23 hours to backup less than 100 MB data(with encryption)
I didn't make any changes to the configuration
A few months before, it just took one hours to backup 70GB data(with encryption)

any idea?

thank you

background information:
backup assist is running on the windows server 2003 platform
CPU usage is always stay at around 95-99%, as there are a few running on this server
marvin.yip
User

Postby TimN » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:49 pm

Hi Marvin,

It's Tim from BackupAssist.

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your backup.

How does the backup perform without encryption? I ask this as encryption can greatly slow down a backup.

If the backup is still slow, send in system diagnostics for us to review.

To submit diagnostics:

1) Go to Contact Support ( via 'Help > Feedback & Support > Click on Contact Support

2) Fill out the form and ensure that the Submit system diagnostics checkbox at the bottom is checked.

If this does not work:

3) Launch the Diagnostics.exe file located in the BackupAssist install folder: C:\Program Files\BackupAssist v8\Diagnostics.exe

If you do not receive an auto-response email from us or have any issues using our automated support tool please follow these steps to manually send in your diagnostics file:

1. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data (for XP and Server 2003)
Go to C:\ProgramData\ (for Vista, Win7 or Server 2008, Server 2012)

2. Email support@backupassist.com a zipped version of the following folder: BackupAssist vX (Where X is the version that you are running)

If you find this file is too large to e-mail, you can trim down the size of the logs by removing anything older than a week within the following folders under the BackupAssist folder

- Summaries
- History
- Reports
- Temp

The Temp folder, is the default destination for PST and SQL backups to be stored during the backup process, so if there are any of these types of backups contained you can remove these as well as we don't require them.

If the file is up to 300MB in size, you can upload it to http://www.sendspace.com for free and send us the download link.

Regards,

Tim
TimN

Postby marvin.yip » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:38 am

Hi Tim

i tired to backup without encryption. it took 31hours to backup 200GB data
is that normal ?

thank you
marvin.yip
User

Postby gsohal » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:14 pm

Hi Marvin,

It's Gagan from the BackupAssist team. Thank you for posting on our forums.

The file replication engine performs quite a lot of different tasks in the back end such as performing VSS snapshots, comparing and creating hard links on the destination. Other processing tasks are also performed which can slow a backup down compared to a straight copy of files within Explorer.

Other factors which may affect backup speeds include:
- The types of files you're backing up.
- The size of the data set you're backing up.
- The amount of system resources that are available when the backup is running (are any other processes performing tasks at the same time as the backup)?
- Compressing and encrypting your backup.
- Backing up files over a network / network congestion.

As Tim, requested please submit the diagnostic report for further analysis.
To submit the diagnostic report, log in to BackupAssist console > Help > Feedback and Support > Contact Support

I hope it helps.

Regards
Gagan
gsohal
User

Return to Technical Support v7