BA2514 Error - Detailed error: Access is denied

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v7.x.x.

Moderators: michael.jones, casey.burns, Mike D

BA2514 Error - Detailed error: Access is denied

Postby vtn » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:29 pm

Hi BA,

When backing up using 7.4.6 to rotating USB media I've recently started encountering BA2514 errors on one of the disks. I am using this on SBS 2011.

The backup operation stopped before completing.
Detailed error: Access is denied.
There was a failure in creating a directory on the backup storage location.
Access is denied.

This happens about 7 minutes after the backup starts. Exchange checks & verifications run OK prior to this error. This has been occurring for about 2 weeks now, and the 2nd disk is working just fine.

I've compared the security settings on all files and folders on my 2 USB disks and the only discrepancy I found between the two was all the XML files in E:\WindowsImageBackup\server\Backup 2015-06-24 120119 on the offending disk do not have a CREATER OWNER permission on them, they have a SYSTEM permission. On the good disk there is a CREATER OWNER permission but no SYSTEM permission.

The XML files do not inherit permissions from the parent folder on either disk.

Normally I just scrub disks when this starts to happen, but I do not want to do that this time, I'd like to understand more about why this happens.

Any insights would be great! Thank you!
vtn
User

Re: BA2514 Error - Detailed error: Access is denied

Postby vtn » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:43 pm

All VSS writers report no errors as well.
vtn
User

Postby gsohal » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:58 pm

Hi There,

It's Gagan from the BackupAssist team. Thank you for posting on our forum.

Sorry to hear that you've issues with the backup software.

From the information you have provided, it seems that the software is unable to either create a snapshot or one of the drives is reporting a predictive failure or the system has high IO activity.

I'd suggest you check the Application and System Event logs reported around the time backup was running.
Hopefully these logs will help you in understanding the cause of error.

In case you are unable to find and address the issue; then, I would recommend you submit the latest diagnostic report for analysis.
To submit the diagnostic report you will need to log in BackupAssist console > Help > Feedback and Support > Contact Support

We will review the diagnostic report and revert.

Regards
Gagan
gsohal
User

Postby vtn » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:08 am

I deleted the XML files on the offending disk and BA started to backup right away. I don't know if I can restore all the previous backups on this disk however.
vtn
User

Return to Technical Support v7