Unable to load backups from tape

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v7.x.x.

Moderators: michael.jones, casey.burns, Mike D

Unable to load backups from tape

Postby samharber » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:47 pm

Hello.

I have an issue with trying to restore data from tape
The backup was created on a Windows 2008R2 server running BA 7.4.4 to an HP LTO6 drive
I'm having issues restoring either to the same server, or a similar server with BA 7.4.5

When I load the restore console, I click on Load Backups From Tape.
A progress bar appears for a few minutes, before going away and leaving the message "0 backups loaded" next to a green tick

The report for the backup in question shows its state as Successful.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Sam Harber
samharber
User

Re: Unable to load backups from tape

Postby michael.jones » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:50 am

Hello,

It's Michael Jones from BackupAssist support.

Firstly, ensure that you are running the latest release for your version of BackupAssist.

To check this, please refer to the following webpage: http://www.backupassist.com/BackupAssist/download.php

If the problem persists, I suggest that you use the tape restore tool in BackupAssist to restore from your backup.

The TapeRestore tool will restore your entire backup to a location of your choice.

This can be performed from the user interface launched from: C:\Program Files\BackupAssist v6\TapeRestoreUI

Alternatively, you can run TapeRestore from a command line via the command below:

The syntax for using TapeRestore is:

TapeRestore destination_directory tape_drive_number

Eg. Restore to E:\tapeBackupRestore from tape0

If the tape_drive_number is not specified, the default tape0 will be used. The tape drive number will either be 0 or 1.

This can be determined by checking the tape drive properties in Device manager.

N/B: The destination directory must be an existing empty directory.

TapeRestore.exe will not create any directory if the designated destination directory does not exist.

If you have any further issues, you can use 7-Zip to open the zip file and extract the files that you need to retrieve at this point.

You can download 7-Zip from here: http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

If the problem persists, please raise a case with our support team via sending diagnostics to us via the steps below:

To submit diagnostics:

1) Go to Contact Support (from the bottom-left corner of the BackupAssist console) -> Click on Contact Support

2) Fill out the form and ensure that the Submit system diagnostics checkbox at the bottom is checked.

If this does not work:

3) Launch the Diagnostics.exe file located in the BackupAssist install folder: C:\Program Files\BackupAssist v6\Diagnostics.exe

If you do not receive an auto-response email from us or have any issues using our automated support tool please follow these steps to manually send in your diagnostics file:

1. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data (for XP and Server 2003)
Go to C:\ProgramData\ (for Vista, Win7 or Server 2008)

2. Email support@backupassist.com a zipped version of the following folder: BackupAssist vX (Where X is the version that you are running)

If you find this file is too large to e-mail, you can trim down the size of the logs by removing anything older than a week within the following folders under the BackupAssist folder

- Summaries
- History
- Reports
- Temp

The Temp folder, is the default destination for PST and SQL backups to be stored during the backup process, so if there are any of these types of backups contained you can remove these as well as we don't require them.

If the file is still too large, upload it to http://www.sendspace.com for free and send us the download link for us to retrieve the file.

I hope this helps, please update us on your progress.
Should you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact me - I'd be glad to assist you.

Thank You,
Michael R. Jones
BackupAssist Help Desk
US Support New Albany, IN
Support@backupassist.com
michael.jones
Cortex I.T.

Return to Technical Support v7