RESOLVED Test bare metal restore

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v7.x.x.

Moderators: michael.jones, casey.burns, Mike D

RESOLVED Test bare metal restore

Postby shabbaranks » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:06 am

Hi,

Im testing a bare metal restore to different hardware. Ive created my recovery CD and backed up the server in question, now when it comes to booting from the recovery media (DVD) the server skips it and tries to boot to the next option pxe. Now I know the server is set to boot from the DVD drive as I tested by booting straight from the SBS2008 DVD but it doesn't want to boot from the recovery media.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks
shabbaranks
User

Re: Test bare metal restore

Postby casey.burns » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:14 am

Hi there,

My name is Casey, and I'm with the BackupAssist team. Thanks for posting on our forum.

Usually when this happens this is because the media wasn't burned as a bootable media option. You must make sure that the RecoverAssist media has been burned properly. I would suggest re-creating the media again by opening BackupAssist > Recover

Alternatively, you can use your SBS 2008 DVD (if it is the same OS in your backup) to complete the bare metal restore process. For help with this, check out the link below:

http://wbadmin.info/articles/howto-bare ... ackup.html

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have anything further to add.
Kind regards,

Casey Burns
BackupAssist Support
casey.burns
User

Postby shabbaranks » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:56 am

Thanks for getting back to me, when you create the restore media and you use the original OS media to create this doesn't it pull the boot information from that? Also what is the point of backupassist creating recovery media when its not bootable - this seems pointless?
shabbaranks
User

Postby gsohal » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:51 pm

Hi There,

It's Gagan from the BackupAssist team. Thank you for posting on our forum.

With regards to your query, I would first like to know how the RecoverAssist media was created?
Did you burn the image directly to the disk or you saved the ISO to system first and then copied it to the disk?
If you chose the later option then it is likely that the ISO was simply copied to the disk and the files were not extracted to the drive.

I just created an ISO using Windows OS disk on SBS2008 and the system booted perfectly fine.
You can also refer to the following RecoverAssist guide for further assistance: http://www.backupassist.com/downloads/v ... rguide.pdf

I hope it helps.

Regards

Gagan
gsohal
User

Postby shabbaranks » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:49 pm

Hi,

I created an ISO as per the GUI within backupassist, once that process finished I burnt the ISO to a DVD using a cd burning package and used "Burn ISO image" which has worked previously but as said if the recovery media doesn't make the ISO bootable when created its not going to boot is it - which I find strange as said before. Why have a feature which creates recovery media which isn't bootable?
shabbaranks
User

Postby shabbaranks » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:08 pm

Ok, so I've got the recovery disk working by converting it to a USB bootable media. Now I have the backup on a local drive in a VHD format, if I scan for backups the recover assist doesn't see the backup and if I mount the VHD to do a recovery again it doesn't see it.

What am I doing wrong?
shabbaranks
User

Postby casey.burns » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:42 am

Hi there,

My name is Casey, and I'm with the BackupAssist team. Thanks for posting on our forum.

Most of the time when we see issues with users not being able to restore from valid backup locations it is usually because they are not searching in the correct location. Many times when looking for the backup users will go all the way into the file structure for the backup and this isn't correct.

The best and most simple way to explain is to look at the directory "above" the WindowsImageBackup directory. For example, if you keep your backups in F:\Backupassist\Image directory. You cannot go below that folder when searching for the backup. You must search for the backup in the F:\Backupassist\Image folder. You will not find the backup in the WindowsImageBackup directory or below it.

Try making sure of this and let us know of your results. If you're still having problems, send us a diagnostic report so we can look further into the issue.

Kind regards,

Casey Burns
BackupAssist Support
casey.burns
User

Postby shabbaranks » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:59 pm

Im sorry but that's a load of rubbish, you don't get the option to select which folder to search for the GUI drills down to each folder until it finds a backup file. I have also copied the VHD file to the root of the USB drive and the recoverassist is still unable to find it.

When you create a backup on a network location backupassist creates the relative file\folder structure so the recovery agent shouldn't have any issues??!

The backup structure for my backup is F:\servernamefolder\

Then the backup for some reason creates 2 folders - 1 is the day the backup was taken and the other is called windowsImageBackup

so it looks like F:\servernamefolder\Sunday and F:\servernamefolder\WindowsImageBackup within these folders are F:\servernamefolder\Sunday\WindowsImageBackup\servername\ then \.catalogues and \Catalog and \Backup 2015-01-11 120030 this folder contains the VHD.

And in the other folder its F:\servernamefolder\WindowsImageBackup then \.catalogues and \Catalog and \Backup 2015-01-11 120030 so god knows why its creating 2 folders.

When you search for backups in a container it finds the VHD but nothing happens - Im unable to select next.
shabbaranks
User

Postby shabbaranks » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:45 pm

Also I don't understand why in an earlier response you refer to using a Windows restore method to restore a server when you know full well Im using your 3rd party product. Using the Windows restore wouldn't recognise the backupassist backup as the format of backup is completely different.

Looking through previous replies within the forum based on similar questions I notice the response is extremely vague with little if any detailed reply. Your product offers a bare metal restore surely the process shouldn't be that complex?
shabbaranks
User

Postby casey.burns » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:00 am

Hi there,

BackupAssist always keeps at least two methods of restore just in case there's an issue with one method, as a precaution. Since our system protection backups use the Windows imaging engine to complete its' bare metal backups, system protection backups are also recognized by Windows Server Backup. Also, since the image backups are VHD (or VHDX for Server 2012) files, disk management will recognize the images and allow you to mount them as drives.

This is why I gave you the instructions on how to use a Windows disk to complete a full bare metal restore. If you haven't tried restoring using this method yet, I would try to do so. Just in case you don't have the information, I've copied it below:

http://wbadmin.info/articles/howto-bare ... ackup.html

Also, when you're in the RecoverAssist media you're given an option to run a command prompt. You can check which backups are available on your drive by opening a command prompt window and running wbadmin get versions -backupTarget:<drive_letter>:
E.g. wbadmin get versions -backupTarget:d: will check the d: drive for backups and give the time and date the backup was taken.

Kind regards,

Casey Burns
BackupAssist Support
casey.burns
User

Postby shabbaranks » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:22 am

I tried the restore using the Windows DVD but it didn't work; just to reiterate. I am trying to restore the backup onto completely different hardware - the backup of the working server was copied onto an external drive and plugged into the server which I am trying to restore to. I can use the recover assist to mount the VHD it shows in the mount a vhd file as Drive G yet that only allows me to browse the files on the disk which is obviously no good (but this does prove the backup was a success).

If I run wbadmin get versions it returns - Error no backup found. Is this because its a different server? This is also I imagine why when I boot from the Windows DVD it cannot see a valid backup as they are in VHD format?
shabbaranks
User

Postby shabbaranks » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:25 am

Not sure how to edit a post but - I didn't specify the drive letter where the backup is stored that's why I got the - ERROR no backup found.

If I specify this I get ERROR - Specified location cannot be used to store backups.

Do I need to specify the WindowsImageBackup folder?
shabbaranks
User

Postby Stuart » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:03 pm

Hi there,

It's Stuart here from the BackupAssist team.

I see you've mentioned you have copied the backup from the original destination to another USB drive which you've moved to the new system to attempt the restore. Let me know if this is correct.
If it is correct then the reason you're running into issues is that on SBS 2008, you need to use the original backup destination to perform the recovery from or else the backups become unusable.

I've written about this in our blog quite some time ago, you can view this at http://www.backupassist.com/blog/suppor ... imitation/.

Hopefully this sorts out why you're having the issues that you're seeing.
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

Postby shabbaranks » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:25 pm

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for this, and that's correct I did copy the backup to an alternative device before trying to restore. Can you tell me if there are any issues with moving the device to a different server in order to complete the restore? For example unplugging an external USB device from the server which manages the backups to the server which I am trying to restore the backups on?

Its just Im trying to keep my recovery process completely separate from the production network to avoid conflict.

Thanks
shabbaranks
User

Postby Stuart » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:06 pm

Hi again,

You should be fine to use the original destination that the backup was written to and move it to another system to perform the recovery.

It's been a while since I've looked at this, however I believe it's due to the backup containing the destination GUID and if it's changed then the backups can't be accessed.

Let us know how you go.
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

Next

Return to Technical Support v7