HD encryption

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v7.x.x.

Moderators: michael.jones, casey.burns, Mike D

HD encryption

Postby gilmar » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:58 am

I am trying BackupAssist v.7.5 on Windows server 2003.
I would like to make a backup on HD with encryption.
Do you still use truecrypt and is it still affordable for that?
I saw that it is end of life and not any more secure... (even on the truecript site they advise to use BitLocker instead).

Thank you in advance for your answer
Best regards
gilmar
gilmar
User

Re: HD encryption

Postby rmdtech » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:08 pm

Hi there,

I was about to post a query on backup assist encryption and I noticed your query.

Like yourself, I use Backup Assist for backing up my servers.Truecrypt encryption is no longer being developed for reasons known only to the developers. However, I personally use Truecrypt for the following reasons:

Truecrypt encryption is open source and to my knowledge has never been broken.
Even the UK Government were unable to access documents on the laptop of David Miranda - the partner of Glenn Greenwald.
I believe that Edward Snowden uses Truecrypt, I seem to remember him recommending the product.

Microsoft designs Bitlocker and Microsoft are in collusion or are being coerced by the NSA, therefore Bitlocker by definition is insecure as Microsoft will have deliberately built in a backdoor at the request of the US Government.

As nobody is able to point to any security holes in Truecrypt and as Bitlocker is by definition insecure because of the association between Microsoft and the NSA - I always recommend that people use Truecrypt as it will be quite a few years before Truecrypt encryption will be broken. Truecrypt is still the most secure and most trusted encryption there is despite no longer being maintained!
rmdtech
User

Re: HD encryption

Postby TimN » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:35 pm

Hi,

It's Tim from BackupAssist.

TrueCrypt is still available in BackupAssist and can be used in File Protection backups.

Below is a blog we wrote in June 2014 regarding TrueCrypt:

http://www.backupassist.com/blog/suppor ... endations/

We also now support System protection\Image backups to external hard drives to be encrypted using BitLocker.

For more information on BackupAssist and BitLocker, please refer to the following user guide: http://www.backupassist.com/education/v ... ption.html

Regards,

Tim
TimN

Return to Technical Support v7