v7.4.5 stops sending email notifications

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v7.x.x.

Moderators: michael.jones, casey.burns, Mike D

v7.4.5 stops sending email notifications

Postby GrisCorp » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:52 am

I have 7.4.5 installed on two different servers. Back in June 2014 Backup Assist stopped sending email notifications from one of the servers despite no changes to the backup job or the email password. After several days of trying and not getting a notification, the only way I was able to get it to resume sending notifications was to clone the backup job and disable the "old" one. That was on June 25, 2014. This same issue occurred on August 3, 2014, on the second server and I immediately cloned the job and disabled the "old".

The issue has now reoccurred on the first server that had the problem in June. I searched the forums here and found a thread with a similar issue but on v7.2 (here). Although that thread doesn't seem to have been resolved, I did, however, check my Event Logs as suggested and for some reason, the logs on both severs skip a significant time span. On the server that currently has the problem, it skips two months. On the other server it skips 4-1/2 months from Nov 15, 2014 to Aug 31, 2014. On both servers, the logs are missing the time span when this problem last occurred, so I am unable to see if the same errors were thrown then as now.

Here are the log entries from last night from the server on which BA v7.4.5 is no longer sending email notifications:
Error ....... 09/08/2014 9:49pm .... Method XEPTN: !SMTP connection failed! ....................................................................................... Server
Info ........ 09/08/2014 9:48pm .... Encrypted field 'Password' in type 'CortexIT.Web.Mail.MailServer' was decrypted using legacy encryption method. ... SettingsSerializer
Error ....... 09/08/2014 9:48pm .... Method XEPTN: !SMTP connection failed! ....................................................................................... Server
Info ........ 09/08/2014 9:48pm .... Encrypted field 'Password' in type 'CortexIT.Web.Mail.MailServer' was decrypted using legacy encryption method. ... SettingsSerializer
Error ....... 09/08/2014 9:48pm .... Method XEPTN: !SMTP connection failed! ....................................................................................... Server
Info ........ 09/08/2014 9:47pm .... Encrypted field 'Password' in type 'CortexIT.Web.Mail.MailServer' was decrypted using legacy encryption method. ... SettingsSerializer
Error ....... 09/08/2014 9:47pm .... Method XEPTN: !SMTP connection failed! ....................................................................................... Server
Info ........ 09/08/2014 9:47pm .... Encrypted field 'Password' in type 'CortexIT.Web.Mail.MailServer' was decrypted using legacy encryption method. ... SettingsSerializer
Error ....... 09/08/2014 9:47pm .... Method XEPTN: !SMTP connection failed! ....................................................................................... Server
Info ........ 09/08/2014 9:46pm .... Encrypted field 'Password' in type 'CortexIT.Web.Mail.MailServer' was decrypted using legacy encryption method. ... SettingsSerializer
Info ........ 09/08/2014 9:46pm .... Sending email 'GRC-Daily Backup Minor Warnings' to 1 recipients .......... ................................................. Notification

Again, as in June, there have been absolutely no changes to the backup job or the email password.

Here is the info displayed when I open the Error:
Method XEPTN: !SMTP connection failed! [Void] {Base_NotificationServiceCommand} DoExecuteCompleted(Object sender, RunWorkerCompletedEventArgs e) System.ApplicationException: SMTP connection failed\n\nServer stack trace: \n at CortexIT.Web.Mail.Wrappers.ChilkatMailComponent.Connect(ConnectionType connectionType, String serverName, Boolean hasAuthentication, String userName, String password, Int32 popTimeoutInSeconds, Int32 serverPort, Int32 smtpTimeoutInSeconds)\n at CortexIT.Web.Mail.MailServer.Connect()\n at CortexIT.BA.Notifications.NotificationService.SendEmail(MailRecipients mailRecipients, MailContent message)\n at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)\n at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.PrivateProcessMessage(RuntimeMethodHandle md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)\n at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.AsyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, IMessageSink replySink)\n\nException rethrown at [0]: \n at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.EndInvokeHelper(Message reqMsg, Boolean bProxyCase)\n at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RemotingProxy.Invoke(Object NotUsed, MessageData& msgData)\n at IDesign.Threading.DoWorkEventHandler.EndInvoke(IAsyncResult result)\n at IDesign.Threading.BackgroundWorker.ReportCompletion(IAsyncResult asyncResult)

We switched to Exchange Online back in October 2013 and did not have this problem until we upgraded to v7.4.5 earlier this year (back in May, IIRC)

It would be much appreciated if I could find a solution to this problem without having to re-clone my backup jobs every 6 weeks or so.
MIS Administrator
GrisCorp
User

Re: v7.4.5 stops sending email notifications

Postby michael.jones » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:41 am

Hello,

Thanks for contacting us in relation to BackupAssist. I'm Michael Jones, one of the technical support engineers.

I am sorry that you are having an issue with our product. I would like very much to work with you to resolve any problems as quickly as possible.

Here is what I am seeing in the logs from BackupAssist:

Notification Sending email 'Daily Data Backup : Successful' to 1 recipients TO:\n"=?iso-8859-1?Q?GM=20Daily=20Backup=20Report=20?=" <support@infoware.ca>\n\nCC:\n\n\nBCC:\n\n
7995 2014-09-09 06:40:40Z/6283363 False Info

Notification Sending email 'Daily Data Backup : Successful' to 3 recipients TO:\n"=?iso-8859-1?Q?GM=20Daily=20Backup=20Report=20?=" <support@infoware.ca>,"=?iso-8859-1?Q?jcave?=" <jcave@genestmurray.ca>,"=?iso-8859-1?Q?ourrego?=" <ourrego@genestmurray.ca>\n\nCC:\n\n\nBCC:\n\n
7996 2014-09-09 06:40:40Z/9363671 False Info

This would tend to indicate that the emails are being sent from the program, with something possibly happening after they have been sent.

I would look at antivirus and spam filters.

Should you have additional questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me - I'd be glad to assist you.
Should you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact me - I'd be glad to assist you.

Thank You,
Michael R. Jones
BackupAssist Help Desk
US Support New Albany, IN
Support@backupassist.com
michael.jones
Cortex I.T.

Postby GrisCorp » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:13 pm

I tried posting this response yesterday starting about 4:40pm EST. From the very first click of the 'Submit' button, I received a nasty little message at the top informing me:

This message was flagged as spam and has been denied.

I tried unsuccessfully for about 10 minutes to get my reply posted including logging out; all to no avail. As the business day was drawing to a close I decided to wait until this morning to see if your system would allow me the courtesy of replying. It did not. I got the same nasty message.

So, finally, I decided to take a screenshot of my reply and post it as an image. Here is my reply:
MIS Administrator
GrisCorp
User

Postby michael.jones » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:31 pm

Okay, let me take another look.

Can you please send me new diagnostics?
Should you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact me - I'd be glad to assist you.

Thank You,
Michael R. Jones
BackupAssist Help Desk
US Support New Albany, IN
Support@backupassist.com
michael.jones
Cortex I.T.

Postby GrisCorp » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:36 pm

Michael,

I have submitted the diagnostics as you requested. The subject line is the same as this topic title.
MIS Administrator
GrisCorp
User

Return to Technical Support v7