BackupAssist behaviour after hibernate

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v7.x.x.

Moderators: michael.jones, casey.burns, Mike D

BackupAssist behaviour after hibernate

Postby yo-1 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:28 pm

Hi all,

My server (WIndows Server 2008 R2 standard) on which I run BackupAssist, is used in a small office organisation.
Outside office hours the server is idle most of the time, which is why - for energy- and cost-saving reasons - I'm testing it to go into hibernate after a certain period, having it 'wake up' quickly by means of the network card's 'wake-on-LAN' settings that quickly bring it to live as soon as any user starts accessing server resources again.
In principle this works fine. It seems even 'windows Update' that is set to run in the middle of the night at 03:00, triggers an automatic wake-up.

What I note however, is that after having gone into hibernate, the BackupAssist process seems to have stopped/died.
When I start the BA console manually it detects that the service is not running, allows met to start it again, and then it works perfectly again. Till the next hibernate.......

Is there a way to arrange that also BA can 'wake-up' a server from hibernate (so that nightly backups nicely can continue to run). Or to prevent the BS service from dying when the system goes into hibernate (so that I can plan the backups to run during daytime, without having to start the service manually again?

Any thoughts or solutions are greatly welcomed...

Johan
yo-1
User

Re: BackupAssist behaviour after hibernate

Postby Stuart » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:23 pm

Hi Johan,

It's Stuart here from the BackupAssist team thanks for posting on our forum.

BackupAssist is built around protecting systems which shouldn't go into hibernate - which is why it doesn't wake the machine up to perform backups.
However to get around this you could write a script that runs to wake the machine and start the BackupAssist service again.

The command to start the BackupAssist service via command line is:

Code: Select all
net start zBackupAssistService

Hopefully this helps you get around your issue.
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

Postby casey.burns » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:48 pm

Hi there,

My name is Casey, and I'm with the BackupAssist team. Thanks for posting on our forum.

My suggestion is that you write a script to automatically run a minute or two before the backup is scheduled to run. This script could start the BackupAssist service before the job runs, and should stop the problem you're currently having.

While we do not write nor troubleshoot scripts here at BackupAssist, I do have some documentation from Microsoft that should help you in writing this script. I have linked it below:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 10%29.aspx

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have anything further to add.
Kind regards,

Casey Burns
BackupAssist Support
casey.burns
User

Postby yo-1 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:58 pm

Hi Casey and Stuart,

Thanks for the feedback.
I have no need to explicitly wake up the machine during nighttime for this....

Found my solution by indeed scheduling a 'net start zBackupAssistService' at regular intervals during the day, making sure the service is running at least continuous during the 'wake' (= daytime) hours. The incremental backups then nicely take place during daytime.

WIht kind regards,

Johan
yo-1
User

Return to Technical Support v7