The Windows Complete PC Restore operation failed.

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v7.x.x.

Moderators: michael.jones, casey.burns, Mike D

Postby Sailaish » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:56 pm

Hi all,

I’m having an issue while doing bare-metal restore of a Windows Server 2008 Standard (X64) on a dissimilar hardware.

- Backup Assist V7
- OS is Windows server 2008 (X64)
- Restoring bare-metal (System protection)

Booted both the backup assist recovery media and even mounted the image backup successfully, however upon restore it gives me below error:

Error details: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)

Any suggestion please.

Waiting for a prompt response.

Thanks and regards,

Sailaish.
Sailaish
User

Re: The Windows Complete PC Restore operation failed.

Postby Mike D » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:33 pm

Here is an article I have found that matches your issue please let me know if you still have issues after following the resolution outlined.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... proinstall
Thank You,
Mike Deaton
BackupAssist U.S. Help Desk Team Leader
US Support Office: Louisville, KY
+812-206-4265
helpdesk@backupassist.com
www.backupassist.com
Mike D
Cortex I.T.

Re: The Windows Complete PC Restore operation failed.

Postby jacobg » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:27 am

Hi,

I just wanted to share my experience. I tried to do a bare-metal restore of Windows Server 2008 SP2 (not R2) on a 2010 Dell Poweredge T110, where the backup image is on an ESATA drive and the recoverassist boot media is USB stick. I got the same error as original message in this thread:

Error details: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)

I spoke with Mike Deaton on the phone, who assisted me. We booted the USB stick with the ESATA drive unplugged, because it looks like the BIOS was making the ESATA drive the C: drive (even though in Windows it's F: drive) and messing up the hardware configuration. After RecoverAssist wizard displayed, I plugged in ESATA drive and it correctly made it the F: drive. Then I ran the wizard, but then I got this error:

Error details: Element not found (0x80070490)

This error occurred whether or not the USB stick was unplugged immediately before confirming the restore process. So Mike then told me to burn the RecoverAssist boot media onto a DVD and try that instead of USB stick, as it's possible that the BIOS could be making the USB stick into a hard drive (which it was) and confusing the recovery process. So I tried that, and voila! The recovery completed without a hitch. Thanks Mike!
jacobg
User

Return to Technical Support v7