Monthly backup to different media

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v7.x.x.

Moderators: michael.jones, casey.burns, Mike D

Monthly backup to different media

Postby frankvan333 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:44 am

I am trying out BackupAssist v7 for our company and not sure how to get the monthly backup to a different medium.

We would like to have a grandfather/father/son scheme having:
Daily - write to NAS, keep 5
Weekly - write to NAS, keep 6
Monthly - write to External drive, having 6 different drives.

Is that possible? I tried to find it in the documentation, but I missed it and would be greatfull if you can point me in the right direction.
frankvan333
User

Re: Monthly backup to different media

Postby michael.jones » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:43 pm

Hello Frank,

I just came across this post and noticed it hadn't been replied to. I appologize for that.

I'm not sure that the schedule you describe is achievable with a single job, in v7.

We have a more comprehensive customized backup option available with the newer release of v8.

This kind of question, if you still have it, is better suited to a phone conversation.

I encourage you to give us a call, or send an email with a request for a call, with a time, number and date.
Should you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact me - I'd be glad to assist you.

Thank You,
Michael R. Jones
BackupAssist Help Desk
US Support New Albany, IN
Support@backupassist.com
michael.jones
Cortex I.T.

Postby frankvan333 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:08 am

Thanks Michael for the follow-up!

I installed indeed v8, but could not get it working.

what happened is that I had to define two programs:
- daily and weekly, write to NAS
- monthly, write to external drives

somehow it did not want to write a 'full' backup to the monthly schedule and it seemed just to write only incremental. Even though the reports told me 'all good', the backups took only minutes and write little to the external drives.

finally I end up choosing the pre-programmed "professional" option, which works pretty well for this small shop.

-Frank
((PS on a side note, the reporting post backup is incredible! Awesome job!!))
frankvan333
User

Postby TimN » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:22 pm

Hi Frank,

It's Tim from BackupAssist.

We're glad to hear that you are happy with the backup reporting.

The backup setup that you require will need to be set up as multiple jobs as you are now doing.

With regards to the Monthly backups, are you using the Zip or File protection backup engines?

It may also be best for you to send in system diagnostics for us to review your backup setup and advise further.

To submit diagnostics:

1) Go to Contact Support ( via 'Help > Feedback & Support > Click on Contact Support

2) Fill out the form and ensure that the Submit system diagnostics checkbox at the bottom is checked.

If this does not work:

3) Launch the Diagnostics.exe file located in the BackupAssist install folder: C:\Program Files\BackupAssist v8\Diagnostics.exe

If you do not receive an auto-response email from us or have any issues using our automated support tool please follow these steps to manually send in your diagnostics file:

1. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data (for XP and Server 2003)
Go to C:\ProgramData\ (for Vista, Win7 or Server 2008)
2. Email support@backupassist.com a zipped version of the following folder: BackupAssist vX (Where X is the version that you are running)

If you find this file is too large to e-mail, you can trim down the size of the logs by removing anything older than a week within the following folders under the BackupAssist folder

- Summaries
- History
- Reports
- Temp

The Temp folder, is the default destination for PST and SQL backups to be stored during the backup process, so if there are any of these types of backups contained you can remove these as well as we don't require them.

If the file is still too large, upload it to http://www.backupassist.com/BackupAssis ... submit.php

If the file is over 50MB and upto 300MB in size, you can upload it to http://www.sendspace.com for free.

Regards,

Tim
TimN

Return to Technical Support v7