Backup hangs on file that is being used by another process

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v7.x.x.

Moderators: michael.jones, casey.burns, Mike D

Backup hangs on file that is being used by another process

Postby rmdtech » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:09 pm

I am finding that every few weeks, the backup is hanging and its always the same file that is causing the hanging. Unfortunately I cannot exclude the file because exclusions only work only local hard drives, not a network drive and it excludes the folder rather than the file.

The error message is this:
2014-04-16 21-05-19Z sending incremental file list
2014-04-16 21-05-56Z ntfs_streams_to_fd CreateFile failed on Office/Workgroup/Dawn/to do.xls, skipping nt streams: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.\#015\#012
2014-04-16 21-06-07Z ntfs_streams_to_fd CreateFile failed on Office/Workgroup/Dawn/CHARGE CARD/Transaction Log.xls, skipping nt streams: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.\#015\#012

However, when viewing the backup progress, it always stuck on processing this file - \office\dcunild\tempSimsrpt\reportdata.xls - I believe that this is the file which is actually the problem and because the backup hangs on this file, its not reporting it in the file log.

The backup will hang until I cancel the backup and reboot the server with the offending file on it. Only then will backups work again!

Is there anyway to force the program to ignore a file if it can't access it and just carry on backing up. I have only got this problem on one server and its always the same file being processed that seems to cause the hang?

Thank you.
rmdtech
User

Re: Backup hangs on file that is being used by another proce

Postby gsohal » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:56 pm

Hi There

It's Gagan from the BackupAssist team. Thank you for posting on our forum.

To fully understand the issue, I would recommend submitting the diagnostic report by logging in to BackupAssist > Help > Feedback and Support > Contact Support.
Ensure that you leave the check box ticked when you submit the report.

Once the report is received, we will analyze and suggest the steps to be performed.

Regards
Gagan
gsohal
User

Postby rmdtech » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:32 pm

I have sent the diagnostics off. I am just awaiting the notification email that lets me know that you have received the diagnostics. will let you know when that comes through. Thank you.
rmdtech
User

Postby rcaia » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:05 am

Is there a solution to this problem? I have been experiencing a similar problem (or the SAME problem) for several months (and AFAIK not before that). If files are left open on workstations then my rsync job hangs on the open file with a message like this ::
-
sending incremental file list
ntfs_streams_to_fd CreateFile failed on 2014_JOB/14688 Cove Garden Apartments - Simpson/7 Programing/150410 Copy of Cove Garden Apartments - Community Building Program.xlsx, skipping nt streams: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.\#015\#012
-
Tape backup jobs DO NOT hang. It appears to hang on (at least) excel, word, or autocad files. Any ideas?
rcaia
User

Postby rmdtech » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:26 am

HI Rcaia. I spoked to support months ago about this issue and basically the problem is Backup Assist does not support VSS over networks for normal files. VSS only works over networks for databases like SQL, Exchange etc. If the file is locked for editing and the file is stored on a remote computer, Backup Assist cannot back it up.

My solution was to move all the files to one server so that VSS works because its on the local hard drive. SQL Server database etc do not need to be local as they work because I have the SQL Server addon.

Your solution is either to move all the files to the same server as the backup program or to install a backup program on each server! I believe (I speak under correction), that you will have the same problem with other backup programs as VSS is based on a windows service therefore its unlikely to work on a network connection. As I say, I speak under correction regarding other backup programs, but as far as Backup Assist is concerned, you either need to move all your files so that they are stored on the same server that backup assist is intalled on or you need to install backup assist on each server.

If the file is stored on the same server as Backup assist, it will not matter if the file is open for editing on a client machine because VSS will allow you to shadow copy the file. If you do have one server and all your data is on that server and backup assist is on that server, then you have some issue with VSS in which case you will need to speak to the Backup Assist report people. Hope this helps.
rmdtech
User

Return to Technical Support v7