Rsync Out of Memory error - backup fails

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v7.x.x.

Moderators: michael.jones, casey.burns, Mike D

Rsync Out of Memory error - backup fails

Postby greer1999 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:29 am

I have 3 servers (unrelated clients) running BackupExec with Rsync and on one of them I get 'out of memory' errors (listed below). This particular server has large number of files for a total of around 1.3TB of data. I have the Rsync server sitting next to the server trying to get the initial file transfer to finish before moving it off-site.

The backup will run for nearly 4 hours then fail with the out-of-memory error. I've checked the resource monitor twice at about 3.5 hours into the backup and the server claims to have a little over 6gig of free RAM but I'm sure the trouble is something other than just regular RAM.

The Rsync server is running Windows 7 Ultimate and claims to have about 4gig of free ram when the backup fails.

Any suggestions? Am I just trying to backup too many files?

ERROR: out of memory in flist_expand [sender]
2014-01-12 08-56-37Z rsync error: error allocating core memory buffers (code 22) at util.c(117) [sender=3.0.7]
2014-01-12 08-56-37Z 1 [main] rsync 6404 C:\ProgramData\BackupAssist v7\temp\Rsync\rsync.exe: *** fatal error - cmalloc would have returned NULL
greer1999
User

Re: Rsync Out of Memory error - backup fails

Postby gsohal » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:55 am

Hi There

It's Gagan from the BackupAssist team. Thank you for posting on our forum.

I believe that the main issue here is the NTFS errors then causing the system to take up too much memory and then cause the fatal error.

To resolve this, please follow the steps below:
1. Open BackupAssist
2. Click on 'Jobs' at the top of the BackupAssist console and select the Rsync backup from the list provided.
3. Click on 'Rsync Options' down the left hand side.
4. Untick 'Back up NTFS metadata' (see screen shot):

I hope this will help you fix the issue.

Regards
Gagan
gsohal
User

Postby greer1999 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:23 am

Thanks Gagan, The backup has been running fine since doing what you suggested. This particular server doesn't need to have the NTFS information backed up but I do have other clients that will want NTFS metadata backed up.

Is this something that can be corrected? Is there a certain number of files and/or folders that causes the trouble?
greer1999
User

Postby backup495 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:17 am

It seems that the number of files does have something to do with it. If I
Code: Select all
rsync
half of the files, then the second half, I don't get the error.
backup495
User

Return to Technical Support v7