Server Slowdown after running Backup

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v7.x.x.

Moderators: michael.jones, casey.burns, Mike D

Server Slowdown after running Backup

Postby andytruelove » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:39 pm

Hi

We've just started using BAv7 on a Windows Server 2012 HyperV host. The software is backing up 2 x Server 2012 Guests plus the local system state etc. Since installing v7 we've noticed the backup runs OK overnight but once users start connecting to the server the following day the disc usage of the server increases to 100% resulting in both Guests slowing down dramatically. Stopping the BA service on the Host server reduces disc usage to the normal 1-5% and the Guest servers return to normal performance even though no backup is running. We've run back to back tests using the native Windows Backup tool and this is fine but running the same backup via BAv7 causes this problem. The problem has also occured for three days in a row so it's pretty conclusive that BAv7 is the problem. Can you please urgently advise if this fault is known and if there's a fix?

Many Thanks

Andy Truelove.
andytruelove
User

Re: Server Slowdown after running Backup

Postby casey.burns » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:04 pm

Hi there,

My name is Casey, and I'm with the BackupAssist team. Thanks for posting on our forum.

It is possible that BackupAssist is the issue here, and if that is the case there is a strong possibility it is a service file issue. The files may need to be reset.
Can you try the following?

1)Stop the BackupAssist service
2)Go to C:\documents and settings\all users\application data (Server 2003 or older)
c:\programdata (Server 2008 or newer)
3)Rename the folder BackupAssist v7 to BackupAssist v7 old
4)Start, then stop service again.
5)go back to application data or programdata directory, copy the jobs and configuration folders from BackupAssist v7 old to the new BackupAssist v7 folder that was created.

You can then start the service and see if you are still having issues.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have anything further to add.
Kind regards,

Casey Burns
BackupAssist Support
casey.burns
User

Postby andytruelove » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:56 pm

Hi Casey

Thanks for the reply. How sure are you this will work please? As the server is a HyperV Host the problem is affecting all the guests and causing serious downtime for the 40+ users so I don't wish to retry it unless we're sure it's going to be OK. Has anyone else experienced the same issue and do you have a known fault?

Thanks

Andy Truelove
andytruelove
User

Postby casey.burns » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:57 pm

Hi there,

My name is Casey, and I'm with the BackupAssist team. Thanks for your response.

The issue you're having seems like it is service related - and anytime there are corrupted service config files or similar issues this is what is done. We allow for the config files to be re-created, and at the very least it begins to isolate the issue further.

If you complete this and you continue to have problems, we'll need a diagnostic sent in to us in order to resolve the issue. To send in diagnostics:

1) Go to Contact Support (from the top-right corner of the console) -> Contact Support
2) Fill out the form and ensure that the Submit system diagnostics checkbox at the bottom is checked.

If you have any issues using our automated support tool please follow these steps to manually send in your diagnostics file:

1. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data (server 2003/XP) or C:\ProgramData\ (server 2008/Vista/Win7)
2. Email support@backupassist.com a zipped version of the following folder: BackupAssist vX (Where X is the version that you are running)

If you find this file is too large to e-mail, you can trim down the size of the logs by removing anything older than a week within the following folders under the BackupAssist folder
- Summaries
- History
- Reports
- Temp

With the Temp folder, it's the default destination for PST and SQL backups to be stored during the backup process, so if there are any of these types of backups contained you can remove these as well as we don't require them.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have anything further to add.
Kind regards,

Casey Burns
BackupAssist Support
casey.burns
User

Postby andytruelove » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:03 am

Hi

To follow this up for anyone reading we have still experienced problems despite cancelling the BA job, stopping the BA service and switching back to Windows Backup. Therefore it may be that BA isn't the cause. However, the server had been running without the problem for around four weeks and the problem started after the first BA backup. I will post any other findings here for interest and if it does look like BA is the cause will submit the diagnostic log. For now I'm uninstalling BA tonight and seeing what happens in the morning.

Andy Truelove.
andytruelove
User

Postby scpm » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:27 am

When you stopped backup assist did the uninstall process also remove/uninstall the device driver that was installed?

The install documentation references a "RealSCSI VHD" drive from "Certit PTY LTD"

Also look in here to watch for Hyper-V updates:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wik ... -2012.aspx

-Neil
scpm
User

Postby andytruelove » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:13 am

Hi

I'm not sure if the VHD driver was removed although I'd thought that the most likely culprit. We've now had two days without a problem since uninstalling BA v7 on the server and just using Windows Backup. It could be co-incidence though so we'll keep monitoring and report back. I can't really run tests on this server as it's in production with live guests and 40+ users so will wait for confirmation of this fault before reinstalling. I will try and re-create in the lab though.

Andy.
andytruelove
User

Postby andytruelove » Wed May 22, 2013 3:15 am

Hi

Hopefully re-posting to this thread will be OK and I was wondering if the problem described here was ever positivly identified and if the new release of 7.02 has fixed it. We've had no issues since moving to native Windows Backup from BA/7 but obviously we're keen to have the benefits of BA.

Thanks

Andy Truelove
andytruelove
User

Postby riham11 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:34 pm

Can you truncate the Log files in an Exchange 2010 Guest (Windows 2008R2) when doing an Image Backup from the Host OS (Windows 2012)?
riham11
User

Return to Technical Support v7